How To Curb the Effects of Jet Lag


Jet lag is no joke! There have been times that I didn't take care of myself during a long flight that resulted in literally 24 hours of sleep. Here are some tips I've learned along the way:

-Stay hydrated before, during and after your flight.
I know, I know...it's annoying to have to pee so often and disturb your neighbors. But, it's good to give your legs a stretch and all that travel can really dehydrate you. If you indulge in some drinks during your flight(I usually have a red wine...or 5), you should drink even more water.

-Keep your blood moving!
Walk around. Stretch. Do wrist & ankle circles. Give yourself a massage; your temples, neck, arms, calves. Do yoga during your layovers or in the aisles. Do whatever you have to do to break up your time spent sitting down.

-Try to schedule your sleeping pattern on the plane around your arrival time.
If you're getting to your destination in the morning, you're going to want to sleep as much as possible on the plane so that you can jump right into the day. If you get there and sleep through the day, you won't sleep again that night, making it even harder to get on the new schedule. Conversely, if you're arriving at night, it's best to stay up for as much of the flight as possible so you're sleepy when you get in.

-Jump right into the new schedule.
If you aren't tired or you can't fall asleep then go for a run, go to the gym, listen to a guided sleep meditation or have a drink or 2. If you're tired during the first day, push through it for as long as possible! Drink coffee, eat some healthy foods, drink plenty of water and don't go too hard. If you need a nap, make it early in the day so you don't end up going to sleep at 5pm and waking up the next morning at 4am(I have definitely done this).

If you have any other tips, I'd love to hear them and try them out for my next flight!

~Grateful Travels!~

Comments

  1. Do you know any specific stretches that can be done in your seat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a challenge when there's a full row so I take full advantage of the aisles and open spaces after my bathroom breaks. It's also a lot easier when luck strikes and you get an empty seat next to you! But in my seat I do breathing exercises, sometimes there are even guided meditations on the tv screen options. I also do wrist and ankle circles. Placing both hands on the arm rests and pushing up, stretching arms all the way straight and repeating and/or holding. Self-massage also helps circulation. Lifting one leg up at a time and hugging it in to your chest, then both. Stretching the arms up overhead. I pretty much do whatever feels good without knocking out a neighbor haha 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts